Mental Health Nursing Department
Mental health is a state of wellness where an individual can be mentally sound, productive, work, cope and contribute to family and society. Mental health is not a state where an individual is never sad, angry, scared, or hurt. Psychological well-being is for the most part, liking your own personality, and managing friendships and responsibilities. Mental health nursing is the appointed position that specialises in mental health, and cares for people of all ages experiencing mental illnesses or distress. The department of mental health nursing facilitates the students to see patients as individual people with lives beyond their mental illness which helps in making patients feel valued and respected. The department helps the students to focus on Individual needs of mentally ill patients by proper assessment, providing standard interventions, and the ability to evaluate the risks associated with the diseases and improving their skills. The faculty members are feathered up with doctoral qualification and experienced faculty with a wide exposure of clinical specialities, roles and various teaching & learning methods.
- Prepares the students to provide standardized nursing care, impart health education for the patients and family and involve in research activities.
- Promoting Career development
- Providing guidance and counselling to under graduate & post graduate students.
- Observing significant mental health days such as World Mental Health day, Suicide prevention day, World Alzheimer’s day by participating in various patient care and community activities.
- Conducting camps, surveys, awareness programs, counselling sessions in collaboration with the department of psychiatry which deals with adult psychiatry, de-addiction, child psychiatry, adolescent and community psychiatry.
Assessment Strategies: OSCE – Objective Structure Clinical examination is used to assess the various skills performed by the students in different clinical situations.
Dr. Fabiola M. Dhanaraj,M.Sc.(N), PGDGC, MA(G&C), Phil(G&C), PhD(N).
Greetings from Meenakshi College of Nursing! After the pandemic, many of us may look back at the hardest time when we all were resilient stewards. The pandemic uncovered and created new opportunities for those in the field of nursing to change the society. Human beings understood the impact of health on the concepts of “live, love, pray, work, learn and play”. This awareness has radically transposed the thought process of academicians in nursing. The motto of our college is, “To Serve is Divine’. We, at Meenakshi College of Nursing, aim to nurture nurses who understands people in the context of life circumstances and serve them efficiently. Through our experienced Faculty and state of the art infrastructure, we are committed to produce competent qualified nurses to face the health care delivery system globally. Once again I extend a hearty welcome to the students and assure them of a blooming career, at one of the most prestigious Institutes of the country.