Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing
Located on the outskirts of Chennai, Meenakshi College of Nursing has an exclusive building with the entire infrastructure required to learn Comprehensive Nursing care. The Nursing College offers a four-year B.Sc. Nursing Degree Program, two years Post Basic B.Sc. (Nursing) and a two years Master’s Degree Program in Nursing, M.Sc. (Nursing) with five specialties. The programs are meticulously planned, which starts with classroom teaching, followed by simulation labs, after which the students are given real-time training in the clinical as well as the community area. A pedagogical approach is used for training the students.
Since the inception of the college in the year 1998, there has been no compromise made on the quality of education and training. Our vision is to focus on the all-around development of the nurses, by ensuring improvement in health equity. As leaders in nursing, we prepare our future nurses in a way that is not limited to an acute care setting or operating theatre, but to handle any roles and settings wherever the profession takes. The future of Nursing is in our hands and in spirit of that thought, our students are perpetually motivated to “Think Big and Act Bigger”.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing is endowed in dealing with women in relation to her reproductive organs, prenatal, intranatal and postnatal period. It aims in preparing the undergraduate and post graduate students to cater the needs of women and children and ensure responsibility and quality in providing nursing care, education and research. The department trains the students with specialised knowledge and skill to excel in extended and expanded nursing roles especially in the communities with an evidence-based practice. Experienced nursing faculty members with doctoral qualification are an added up strength to the department which encourages the Faculty and student to actively involves in rendering nursing care to the obstetrics and gynaecological needs of the women and new-born.
- Implementation of standardized nursing care according to the current national policies, procedures and protocols.
- Integrate nursing process through logical / critical thinking and decision making in various obstetrics and gynaecological settings.
- Emphasize on culturally sensitive, family centred holistic nursing care to promote self-learning attitude among the students.
- Accredit and empower women along with their family to promote optimal health physically and mentally through health education and counselling.
- Participate in the collaborative care and motivate students to engage in Inter-disciplinary research.
- Execute research and innovative activities through awareness programs for social and professional development.
- Observes health related days by participating in various patient care and community activities.
- Assessment Strategies: OSCE – Objective Structure Clinical examination is used to assess the various skills performed by the students in different clinical situations.
Dr. Fabiola M. Dhanaraj,M.Sc.(N), PGDGC, MA(G&C), Phil(G&C), PhD(N).
Greetings from Meenakshi College of Nursing! After the pandemic, many of us may look back at the hardest time when we all were resilient stewards. The pandemic uncovered and created new opportunities for those in the field of nursing to change the society. Human beings understood the impact of health on the concepts of “live, love, pray, work, learn and play”. This awareness has radically transposed the thought process of academicians in nursing. The motto of our college is, “To Serve is Divine’. We, at Meenakshi College of Nursing, aim to nurture nurses who understands people in the context of life circumstances and serve them efficiently. Through our experienced Faculty and state of the art infrastructure, we are committed to produce competent qualified nurses to face the health care delivery system globally. Once again I extend a hearty welcome to the students and assure them of a blooming career, at one of the most prestigious Institutes of the country.