MAHER is acclaimed for the quality and diversity of its research, with a variety of facilities, resources, and opportunities for research-minded students to refine their research skills and actively participate in developing novel concepts through Ph.D programmes.
Our researchers conduct active research in frontier areas, which results in renowned publications in international and national journals, as well as patents. The majority of the research findings are also presented at international and national conferences. A large number of sponsored research projects are funded by agencies such as the Department of Science and Technology, DBT, ICMR -as well as other Government and Non-Government organizations, to address research issues of national interest. Several collaborative research projects with national and international institutions are also carried out by our scholars. In addition, research scholars are also engaged in various consultancy related projects/services under the guidance of the respective faculty members.
MAHER is equipped with excellent laboratories and facilities with state-of-the art equipment. Research is being done in diverse fields with current relevance such as Drug resistance and Discovery, Genotoxic studies, Sequence analysis and Computer aided Drug design, Biochemical and Molecular studies, Epidemiological research, Accessible and Quality Healthcare. Research is also carried out in the interdisciplinary areas among the various departments of Medical, Dental Allied Health and Humanities and Science .At MAHER, every Ph.D. student has the chance to gain experience outside of the realm of typical dissertation research.
MAHER is committed to provide students with a high-quality education and fostering an environment that promotes academic excellence, critical thinking, and creativity. Our Ph.D. program is designed to bestow students with the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to succeed as researchers, scholars, and academicians. The institution ensures that the process for student admission is easily accessible, fair, and transparent. PhD may be pursued in designated fields of disciplines in which the Institution has necessary and relevant research proficiency and resources to support high quality research work.
Notification of Admission:
PhD Admission notification will be hosted on the Institution’s website and also through newspapers. Admission to the Ph.D. Program is carried out biannually, once during June-July and the other during December – January period. Interested people can apply through the Institution’s website.
Eligibility for PhD Admission:
Candidates for admission to the Ph.D programme shall have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/ differently- abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the University Grants Commission from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991. The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedure.
Candidates who have cleared the M.Phil. course work with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and successfully completing the M.Phil. Degree shall be eligible to proceed to do research work leading to the Ph.D Degree in the same Institution under integrated programme.
Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme of MAHER.
Note: The Eligibility criteria are drafted based on UGC guidelines dated November 2022.
- The candidates registering for Ph.D. Programme shall apply in the prescribed application form available online in the Institution website. The submitted filled-in application should be downloaded and the hard copy along with all necessary documents should be sent to the Dean Research, MAHER within the stipulated time as indicated in the notification. Incomplete applications in any respect shall be rejected without any intimation to the candidate.
- The applications of the eligible candidates shall be processed by the Scrutinizing Committee constituted by the Dean Research for the purpose of selection.
- The Committee shall screen the applications as per the UGC eligibility norms and scrutinized candidates will be called for written examination and interview with expert members.
- MAHER shall admit candidates by a two stage process:
- An Entrance Test shall be conducted and qualifying marks for admission will be 50%. Relaxation of 5% of marks (from 50% to 45%) shall be allowed for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-Creamy layers) and Differently–abled candidates. The Entrance Test shall consist of 50% of research methodology and 50% shall be subject specific.
- The candidate should take the examination only in the subject for which he/she has applied for admission to the Ph.D programme.
An Interview will be conducted by expert members after the written examination considering the following aspects, viz. whether (i) the candidate possesses the competence for the proposed research; (ii) the research work can be suitably undertaken at the Institution /College; (iii) the proposed area of research can contribute to new/additional knowledge.
Weightage of 70% to the entrance test and 30% to the performance in the interview will be given.for selection.
The selection of Nursing Candidates for PhD will be done only on the basis of Indian Nursing Council (INC) norms.
- Candidates qualified in UGC – NET (including JRF) / UGC – CSIR – NET/ SET/other National Level Eligibility Tests are exempted from written test and have to appear for interview only.
- Candidates who have been awarded INSPIRE Fellowship of DST, Rajiv Gandhi and Maulana Azad Fellowships of UGC or similar Fellowships awarded by statutory bodies of Govt. of India are exempted from written test, but have to appear for the interview.
- Selected candidates shall be provisionally registered for Ph.D. programme considering the availability of appropriate Supervisors. The List of selected candidates will be placed before the Board of Research for approval.
- Any substantial changes will be communicated to the respective candidates and selected candidates will be informed of the procedures for enrollment, registration, and orientation.
MODE OF PhD PROGRAMME:
- Candidates can apply for a PhD Programme at MAHER under the following modes.
1.Full-time scholar (with stipend or fellowship or any assistantship)
2.Part-time scholar ( internal or external).
- A scholar can change from Full Time or Part Time with prior approval from the Dean Research subject to submission of necessary documents along with the recommendation of the Doctoral Committee. In cases, when a student decides to switch to a different mode of study, the maximum duration of registration shall be determined accordingly.
DURATION OF RESEARCH PROGRAMME:
FULL TIME PROGRAMME
PART TIME PROGRAMME
Under medical grounds and other compelling reasons, a candidate can be permitted to break the course of study programme. However, the break of study period shall not be included in the minimum duration of the programme. The scholar must pay the annual fees during the break period. Refer prospectus for detailed information.
At MAHER, PhD Programme are offered in various designated fields/disciplines in which the Institution has necessary and relevant research proficiency and resources to support high quality research degree program.
DETAILS OF VARIOUS DISCIPLINES
|Faculty of Medicine||Basic Medical Sciences such as Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Pathology, Clinical subjects such as Medicine Surgery, Orthopaedics, Psychiatry, etc…|
|Faculty of Dentistry||Prosthodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Periodontology, Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics, Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Public Health Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology and Oral Microbiology|
|Faculty of Nursing||Nursing|
|Faculty of Allied Health Sciences||Health Sciences, Public Health, Applied Health Science|
|Faculty of Physiotherapy||Physiotherapy|
|Faculty of Occupational Therapy||Occupational therapy|
|Faculty of Humanities & Science||Life Sciences, Commerce, Management studies, Tamil, English Literature, Computer Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Environmental Science and other related subjects in the Faculty of Science|
|Faculty of Yoga Science & Therapy||Yoga Science and related subjects|
Any Queries regarding Ph.D program Contact:
Mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile number: +91 9940051294